Friday, August 13, 2010

Courtesy, where have you gone?

When is the last time you held the door open for someone? If you haven't done it in a while, give it a try, the look on their face will make sure you open the door for everyone you can.


Yesterday my mom and I went out for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack (epic meal) and this is where I experienced it. We were on our way out of the restaurant and after holding the door open for my mom I saw two lovely ladies on their way indoors. So moving just out of their way the look on their face said "she's not going to". Little did they know I was brought up much better than to leave two woman in the rain. I had moved out of their way and to the other side of the door to hold it open for them both. The bright smile on both of their faces brightened my already great day.


Immediately it struck me, why were they THAT happy when someone opened the door for them? Doesn't it happen often enough? What has society broken down to? And in that moment I went from happy to sad to angry, happy I could brighten their day - sad that something that small brightened their day - angry that the world's manner's has crumbled.


Now when I open the door for myself I normally look just over my shoulder to see if there is anyone coming so I can hold it for them, but I found out today that even my elder's could care less. Today I walked into a store and three women walked in before me, each one did not hold the door open for the other (it was a fast moving door) and so by the time it was my turn to enter it practically hit me in the face. I realize I'm not an elderly woman, injured or pregnant but when did manner's take place only for those less fortunate? I do not care if you are 9 months pregnant or an obnoxious 3 year old screaming about ice cream flavors and demanding his/her favorite, I will hold the door for you if you are in my proximity - it is how my mother raised me.


I suppose this breaks it down to "to each his own" but that is not an excuse to let the people of our world become inconsiderate for others. What if the person you so rudely didn't hold the door open for (or let the door them in the face) is the only match for your very much needed kidney. If that person has any manners at all they would follow through anyway, but if they have as much manners as you - you are kidney -less. 


I don't suppose it would ever come down to something like that but please be more aware of how you treat others because you could open the door for someone who could later save your life or you could just brighten their day - either way? It's worth it. Trust me.
until next time (:

No comments:

Post a Comment