Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Winton's Children

How far would you go to save a life? How about the life of a child? Would you do it to get world head lines?

Nicholas Winton save 669 children from the Nazis in 1938, keeping a record of every child he saved he put the pictures and records away in his attic and told no one, not even his wife. What he did was save hundreds of lives and did it because he knew it was right and he that he could. How far would you go?

Sometimes I like to tell myself that it's ridiculous to say that I'd do the same, that there is no way I could have the courage to do something like save another human being's life. Then I realize that if I were given the choice to save my mother, best friend, teacher, child, stranger's life I would do it in a heart beat. If I were given the choice to breathe another day and let them lose their life or give them my last breath and leave this world, I would give them my last breath and say goodbye.

I pretend that I would talk myself out of it, but then I realize that as much as I love living and doing what I love to do in my own life, knowing I could let someone go on doing what they love and go on loving who they love means so much more to me. I'm content with my life and the way I'm living, in fact I'm ecstatic about my own life and the things my heart beats for the dreams my mind takes me on for my own future. Which, all of those things make me realize I would give my life over someone else's without a second thought. 

If even one other human being has dreams like mine then let them live. To save a life makes the life of the saver that much more important, much more meaningful. Saving someone's life would be the fulfillment of all the dreams I've ever dreamed.

So to answer my own question, I would do what Winton did in a heart beat, no matter the consequence, but would you?

until next time (:  

No comments:

Post a Comment